The Urban Indianz Podcast and Educated and Entertaining Look through the eyes of the modern day Native American. Hosted by everyone’s favorite natives Gabriel Night Shield, Levi Hansen, Char Green-Maximo, and Kat Stands.
Gabriel Night Shield sees the same repeating stereotypes of Native Americans.
“It’s one of the two: the drunk living in the streets,” Night Shield said. “Or the guy that’s living in the teepees.”
What he doesn’t see is his story. The Sioux Falls resident, who grew up in Rosebud, is a musician, a businessman and father. Millions of other Native Americans lead similar lives, but don’t see it reflected in the media, Night Shield said.
He’s taking matters into his own hands, releasing a new podcast next month to focus on the lives of Native Americans in urban settings.
The “Urban Indianz” podcast will premiere June 12 with three episodes on iTunes, SoundCloud and other outlets.
Night Shield, who lived in Boston and Seattle before settling in Sioux Falls 17 years ago, envisions the podcast as one with a national audience. He and his two co-hosts, Levi Hansen and Char Green-Maximo, will tackle one topic in each episode, drawing from their own lives for inspiration.
Moving between reservations and large cities can be overwhelming for Native Americans, Night Shield said. Life away from home can be isolating, and that’s often what causes people to move back and live closer to their family.
He hopes to provide them and other listeners with a new perspective on current events, and talk about what it’s like to work and raise a family in a city away from the reservation.
“I feel like that voice is lost,” Night Shield said.
Each episode will also have a segment on art and end with Native American hip hop. Night Shield is a music producer and locally-based rapper who has won multiple national awards.
Follow The Urban Indianz Podcast
Latest in The Sioux Empire
- Tornado Path in Worthington, Minnesota
- South DaCola Podcast 005 Eclipse and City Government with Pat Starr
- Sioux Empire Podcast 080 – Sioux Falls Business with Jodi Schwan
- Airbnb reaches tax agreement with South Dakota, will begin collecting taxes Sept. 1
- Panic in Detroit (and Charlottesville and Ferguson and Wounded Knee…) Part 4
- LEAD South Dakota highlighted by Washington Post
- Live Music Events In The Sioux Falls Area 8/15-8/22
- I Got A Albino Ball Python !! 🐍 Set Up 🐍 Basic Care 🐍 Feeding ☀️Sunshine ☀️
- Sioux Empire Podcast 079 – All About Pokehon (Joseph Ektnitphong)
- I Am Alive the Rick and Morty Remix
- Oh Great Now I Have To Worry About Being Crushed By Large Mammals
- Disney On Ice presents Dream Big comes to Denny Sanford PREMIER Center
- Panic in Detroit: Part 3
- Is The War On Drugs Why South Dakota Can’t Have Nice Things?
- Tactical Remote Robot Assists in Felony Arrest
- Meet U.S. House Candidate George Hendrickson
- Republic of China (Taiwan) to Honor American Veterans Who Served in Taiwan
- Game of Thrones – Ice Ice Baby
- South DaCola Podcast 004 News Media with Patrick Lalley
- Urban Indianz Podcast Episode 008 Standing Rock Camp