Editors Note, this column is part two of ongoing series. Click here for part one. This week marks 50 years since the 1967 Riots in Detroit. With the upcoming film “Detroit,” I wanted to visit the Riots as an important historical event, specifically through the prism of my family. I was born in Detroit five […]
We have just celebrated the 241st birthday of the United States of America. Over beer and brats, sparklers and skyrockets, we gathered in our neighborhoods and loudly cheered our nation’s Independence Day. (I was actually at home on the Fourth, trying to soothe two little dogs who were deeply disturbed by the pops and whistles […]
The following is a list of live music events happening in and around the Sioux Falls area until the end of July (Sunday, July 23rd to Monday, July 31st). This list is a compilation of local and touring acts and contains a wide variety of genres. The venues vary. If you are a musician(individual, group, […]
I’m an idiot for wanting to write this. I know that what I’m about to do is an impossible thankless task. I well know that having anything other than childlike wonder and glee about a woman being the Doctor makes any alternative opinion moot and disclaimer pointless, but I’m still going to try to tell […]
Fifty years ago this month, I was in Detroit, Michigan. Well, my parents were in Detroit – I was actually in utero. I was born in December of 1967 and conceived likely sometime in March of that year. As a Gen-Xer born during those turbulent days of the late Sixties, I’ve often thought of myself […]
It is a miracle that the sad case of Charlie Gard continues to gather so much attention from media outlets and people around the world. The lessons that we can learn and should learn from these injustices against the Gard family are important and prophetic. Unfortunately, too many of us are turning this into a […]
Wacko’s Comedy Club owner Kellen Marson is back on the podcast to tell Robert Mehling and Seth Glover how fun/scary that job is. We talk about the challenges of the comedy industry and creative ways Kellen has worked to meet the challenges. We also hear a little bit about how hypnosis changed his life and […]
It’s that time again, the time for another sporadic 10-Spot Spotlight. If you keep up with this column you might remember back to late March/early April, we released a 10-Spot “comics you should know” special edition featuring comics from across the country. I really hope that you took the time to check them out as […]
On Saturday, July 8th, 2017 surviving crew members and their families and descendants gathered at the USS South Dakota Battleship Memorial in Sioux Falls (2705 W 12th St, Sioux Falls, SD 57104) for a moving reunion ceremony. Music was played by the Sioux Falls Municipal Band (Conductor Mr. Christopher Hill). Seven WWII crewmembers from USS South Dakota were present. The […]
This week The Sioux Empire Podcast crew (Robert Mehling and Seth Glover) will commit random crimes so they can go to jail for the free iPads. Fortunately, Comedy Hypnotist and Wacko’s Comedy Club Owner Kellen Marson was on hand to talk them out of it. That, and the whole being threatened with forced catheterization thing […]
Latest in The Sioux Empire
- Make Your Voice Heard at the SD State Fair – 2017 Dakota Star
- 2018 Sioux Falls Sno Jam Comedy Festival Announced!
- SiouxperCon Moving to Fall and to The Sioux Falls Convention Center in 2018
- A Magician Among the Spirits Coming August 3rd.
- The Sioux Empire Podcast at 1 Million Cups Sioux Falls
- Time Management for Authors – My Saturday AM Routine – Ask A Publisher Ep. #8
- Was There a Giant Sioux Serpent in 1887? The Sioux Empire Investigates.
- We’ll Miss You Wacko’s Comedy Club
- DargonCon 5 – Badlands Rumble
- South DaCola Podcast 003 Wooo!
- Panic in Detroit: Part 2
- Shut Up and Take My Money: Ready Player One Trailer
- Urban Indianz Podcast Episode 007 – Native Hip Hop
- Sioux Empire Podcast 076- Parks and Recreation with Sioux Falls City Council Member Theresa Stehly
- Divided We Fall: a New Civil War
- Live Music Events In The Sioux Falls Area 7/23-7/31
- Doctor Whom? Why Not a Male Doctor Who? Or: That’s the Problem with Regeneration.
- Maybe He Should Just Move Here: Garth Brooks Announces Still More Sioux Falls Shows
- Panic in Detroit: Part 1
- Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington Dead at 41