The Urban Indianz Podcast and Educated and Entertaining Look through the eyes of the modern day Native American. Hosted by everyone’s favorite natives Gabriel Night Shield, Levi Hansen, Char Green-Maximo, and Kat Stands.
Gabriel Night Shield sees the same repeating stereotypes of Native Americans.
“It’s one of the two: the drunk living in the streets,” Night Shield said. “Or the guy that’s living in the teepees.”
What he doesn’t see is his story. The Sioux Falls resident, who grew up in Rosebud, is a musician, a businessman and father. Millions of other Native Americans lead similar lives, but don’t see it reflected in the media, Night Shield said.
He’s taking matters into his own hands, releasing a new podcast next month to focus on the lives of Native Americans in urban settings.
The “Urban Indianz” podcast will premiere June 12 with three episodes on iTunes, SoundCloud and other outlets.
Night Shield, who lived in Boston and Seattle before settling in Sioux Falls 17 years ago, envisions the podcast as one with a national audience. He and his two co-hosts, Levi Hansen and Char Green-Maximo, will tackle one topic in each episode, drawing from their own lives for inspiration.
Moving between reservations and large cities can be overwhelming for Native Americans, Night Shield said. Life away from home can be isolating, and that’s often what causes people to move back and live closer to their family.
He hopes to provide them and other listeners with a new perspective on current events, and talk about what it’s like to work and raise a family in a city away from the reservation.
“I feel like that voice is lost,” Night Shield said.
Each episode will also have a segment on art and end with Native American hip hop. Night Shield is a music producer and locally-based rapper who has won multiple national awards.
Follow The Urban Indianz Podcast
Latest in The Sioux Empire
- Frankenstein: Plutarch’s Lives – Extra Sci Fi – #4
- Episode 144 – The PS4 Giveaway
- The Art of Bombing Episode 26: Brandon Young
- How job surveillance is transforming trucking in America
- Night Shield featuring Marilyn Manson – Killing Strangers (Video)
- Kilo Trackz – All I Can Do
- The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society Sanford Health to explore possible partnerships
- Urban Indianz Podcast Episode 014 – No Thanks No Giving
- British embassy cat in Jordan appointed chief mouser
- Local teenager raises awareness about dyslexia
- Sioux Empire Podcast 090 – Oil Spill Slip and Slide
- My New Piebald Ball Python Xavier!!
- Friday November 24, 2017: Sanford Pentagon Basketball Showcase
- Friday November 24, 2017: Dakota Alliance Soccer Club Black Friday Tournament
- Saturday November 18, 2017: Sioux Falls Skyforce vs. Rio Grande Valley
- Saturday November 18, 2017: South Dakota State Soccer Association All Star Game
- U.S. Navy crew grounded after pilot draws penis in the sky
- Police continue to investigate vehicle-vs-pedestrian crash
- Thanksgiving Week Adjusted Trash Collection Schedule
- Christmas Light Recycling Program 2017